Duronto (Bengali: দুরন্ত; "quick") Express trains are a set of specialized rail services by Indian Railways like Rajdhani Express and Shatabdi Express trains. These are the non-stop point to point rail services introduced for the second time in the history of India. The Sampark Kranti trains being the first which were introduced during the railway budget by the then rail minister Mr. Lalu Prasad Yadav during 2004-2005. However due to poor patronage, these trains which anyway had only technical halts were given commercial stops.
These services connect the metros and major state capitals of India. Introduced in the Indian Rail Budget 2009-10, these trains run non-stop from source and destinations with some technical and crew halts in the journey. The Duronto express trains are projected to be the fastest trains in India.
The fastest train in India is the Bhopal Shatabdi Express which runs at a maximum speed of 150 km/h. But the Ministry of Railways (India) wanted to introduce the service of high speed rail in India.In 2007, the ministry, chose the 500-kilometre stretch between Delhi and Amritsar for a pre-feasibility study. The cost for setting up the Delhi-Amritsar corridor is estimated to be around Rs 25,000 crore.On 19 January 2009, the former Railway Minister Lalu Prasad Yadav said that his ministry was in the process of appointing global consultants for introducing the high-speed trains on certain routes.Besides the Delhi-Amritsar route, Pune-Mumbai-Ahmedabad, Hyderabad-Dornakal-Vijaywada-Chennai, Chennai-Bangalore-Coimbatore-Ernakulam and Howrah-Haldia. But, this High Speed rail service for India is expected to be completed on a long run. Meanwhile, the new Railway minister of India, Mamata Banerjee announced the introduction of the reasonably high speed rail service, Duronto, in the Indian Rail budget 2009-10.
Due to strong protest lodged by the MPs from the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh for the negligence of their state in allotting the Duronto services, the Union Railway Minister, Mamata Banerjee (as of 2009) made an announcement of two more Duronto Services.
With four different classes of accommodation, the Duronto trains provide more passenger facilities than any other train service on Indian Railways. These classes are AC First Class (1A), AC Two Tier(2A), AC Three Tier(3A) and Three Tier Economy(3E). The livery of these trains is painted splashes of colours. The colour scheme shows greenery with runners legs in blue. Pantry cars are also provided in the trains where the costs of the meals are included in the ticket itself.
The fares for the Duronto trains are less than other prestigious super fast rail services such as the Rajdhani Express which ply the same routes. The fare in the new "Economy" AC 3-tier class (similar to that of Garib Rath Express) of the Duronto is marginally more than the fares of the standard AC 3-tier class because  the fares include food and catering costs.
The AC 3 tier economy class(3E class) introduced Side Middle Berths (SM), increasing the capacity of each coach from 72 to 81 passengers. This enables the trains to carry more passengers and consequently reduce waiting lists on these busy routes as well as the ticket costs. However, the class was discontinued from the New Delhi-Sealdah Duronto Express after passenger protests.
On board Amenities
The Duronto services would consist of five classes of accommodation namely First AC, Two-tier AC, Three-tier AC, Economy Three-tier AC (similar to that of Garib Rath Express) and Non AC Sleeper Class (Available in Mumbai-Nagpur Duronto, Secunderabad New Delhi Duranto, Howrah-Yeshwantapur Duronto and New Delhi - Allahabad Duronto). The Rakes comprise ICF coaches used in the Rajdhanis and Garib Raths earlier.Each Duronto coach is 24 metres long, compared to the regular coach length of 22.3 metres. The distance between coaches is less too - 460 mm instead of the regular 960 mm.
Besides unique safety and hygiene features like dustbins and fire extinguishers, the coaches have sleeker designs for bottle holders and switches, mobile charging points, sliding transparent doors between coaches, and LED night lamps instead of regular fluorescent lights.
The train is built of stainless steel (which makes the coaches lighter by about two tonnes each), which is lighter, anti-corrosive and more durable than the conventional 'corten steel'. An important safety feature is the central buffer couplers whose enhanced load capacity makes the train derailment-proof.
Efficiency and Speed
List of Duronto Express trains
|Pair||Train Number||Train Name||Train Source Stn||Source Dep. Time||Train Destination Stn||Dest. Arr. Time|
|1||12213||DURONTO EXPRESS||YESVANTPUR JN||23:40||DELHI S ROHILLA||06:50|
|12214||YPR DURONTO EXP||DELHI S ROHILLA||23:00||YESVANTPUR JN||07:30|
|2||12219||SC DURONTO EXP||LOKMANYATILAK T||23:05||SECUNDERABAD JN||11:05|
|12220||DURONTO AC EXP||SECUNDERABAD JN||23:05||LOKMANYATILAK T||11:05|
|3||12221||HOWRAH DURONTO||PUNE JN||15:15||HOWRAH JN||19:40|
|12222||HWH PUNE DURONTO||HOWRAH JN||08:20||PUNE JN||11:35|
|4||12223||LTT ERS DURONTO||LOKMANYATILAK T||20:50||ERANAKULAM JN||17:45|
|12224||ERS LTT DURONTO||ERANAKULAM JN||21:30||LOKMANYATILAK T||18:15|
|5||12227||INDORE DURONTO||MUMBAI CENTRAL||23:15||INDORE JN BG||11:15|
|12228||MUMBAI DURONTO||INDORE JN BG||23:00||MUMBAI CENTRAL||12:05|
|6||12243||DURANTO||CHENNAI CENTRAL||06:50||COIMBATORE JN||13:30|
|12244||DURANTO EXP||COIMBATORE JN||15:05||CHENNAI CENTRAL||21:50|
|7||12245||HWH YPR DURONTO||HOWRAH JN||11:00||YESVANTPUR JN||16:00|
|12246||DURONTO EXPRESS||YESVANTPUR JN||11:15||HOWRAH JN||16:00|
|8||12259||SDAH DURONTO EX||SEALDAH||18:40||NEW DELHI||11:00|
|12260||SDAH DURONTO EXP||NEW DELHI||20:05||SEALDAH||12:25|
|9||12261||HOWRAH DURONTO||MUMBAI CST||17:15||HOWRAH JN||19:40|
|12262||HWH CSTM DURONTO||HOWRAH JN||08:20||MUMBAI CST||10:30|
|10||12263||NZM DURONTO EXP||PUNE JN||11:10||H NIZAMUDDIN||07:10|
|12264||PUNE DURONTO EXP||H NIZAMUDDIN||11:00||PUNE JN||07:20|
|11||12265||DEE JAT DURONTO||DELHI S ROHILLA||22:15||JAMMU TAWI||07:10|
|12266||DURONTO EXPRESS||JAMMU TAWI||19:25||DELHI S ROHILLA||04:00|
|12||12267||ADI DURANTO EXP||MUMBAI CENTRAL||23:15||AHMEDABAD JN||06:00|
|12268||BCT DURANTO EXP||AHMEDABAD JN||23:40||MUMBAI CENTRAL||06:15|
|13||12269||DURONTO EXPRESS||CHENNAI CENTRAL||06:40||H NIZAMUDDIN||10:35|
|12270||MAS DURONTO EXP||H NIZAMUDDIN||15:50||CHENNAI CENTRAL||20:10|
|14||12271||NDLS DURONTO EXP||LUCKNOW NR||23:30||NEW DELHI||07:30|
|12272||LKO DURONTO EXP||NEW DELHI||23:30||LUCKNOW NR||07:10|
|15||12273||HWH NDLS DURONTO||HOWRAH JN||13:00||NEW DELHI||06:05|
|12274||HWH DURONTO EXP||NEW DELHI||13:00||HOWRAH JN||06:00|
|16||12275||NDLS DURONTO EXP||ALLAHABAD JN||22:40||NEW DELHI||06:05|
|12276||ALD DURONTO EXP||NEW DELHI||23:00||ALLAHABAD JN||06:20|
|17||12277||HWH PURI DURONTO||HOWRAH JN||14:25||PURI||21:40|
|12278||PURI HWH DURONTO||PURI||06:45||HOWRAH JN||13:45|
|18||12281||BBS DURONTO EXP||BHUBANESWAR||08:15||NEW DELHI||06:05|
|12282||BBS DURONTO EXP||NEW DELHI||13:00||BHUBANESWAR||11:05|
|19||12283||ERS NZM DURONTO||ERANAKULAM JN||23:30||H NIZAMUDDIN||19:30|
|12284||NZM ERS DURONTO||H NIZAMUDDIN||21:35||ERANAKULAM JN||15:30|
|20||12285||NZM DURONTO EX||SECUNDERABAD JN||13:30||H NIZAMUDDIN||10:35|
|12286||NZM SC DURONTO||H NIZAMUDDIN||15:50||SECUNDERABAD JN||14:00|
|21||12289||NAGPUR DURONTO||MUMBAI CST||20:15||NAGPUR||07:15|
|12290||NGP CSTM DURONTO||NAGPUR||20:50||MUMBAI CST||07:50|
|22||12847||HWH DGHA DURONTO||HOWRAH JN||11:15||DIGHA FLAG STN||14:15|
|12848||DGHA HWH DURONTO||DIGHA FLAG STN||15:35||HOWRAH JN||18:35|
The proposed Duronto Trains announced in 2011-12 Railway Budget by Mamata Banerjee (Minister of Railways)
- Allahabad-Mumbai AC Duronto (bi-weekly)
- Pune-Ahmedabad AC Duronto (tri-weekly)
- Sealdah-Puri non AC Duronto (tri-weekly)
- Secunderabad-Visakhapatnam AC Duronto (tri-weekly)
- Madurai-Chennai AC Duronto (bi-weekly)
- Chennai-Thiruvananthapuram AC Duronto (bi-weekly)
- Mumbai Central-New Delhi AC Duronto (bi-weekly)
- Nizamuddin-Ajmer non-AC Duronto (bi-weekly)
- Shalimar-Patna Duronto (tri-weekly)
The frequency of following Duronto Trains have been increased:
- Mumbai CST-Howrah Duronto Express from 2 days to 4 days
- Mumbai-Ahmedabad Duronto Express from 3 days to daily
- Sealdah-New Delhi Duronto Express from 2 days to 5 days
- Nagpur-Mumbai CST Duronto Express from 3 days to daily
- Howrah-Yesvantpur Duronto Express from 4 days to 5 days
- ^ "First ever non-stop train service 'Duronto' introduced.". Economictimes (Times of India). 3 Jul 2009. http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Budget09/Railway-Budget/Whats-in-it-for-You/Rail-Budget-2009-10-First-ever-non-stop-train-service-Duronto-introduced/articleshow/4733187.cms. Retrieved 16 September 2009.
- ^ "India's fastest train, the Delhi-Bhopal Shatabdi". Times of India. 15 February 2006. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/news/india/High-speed-rail-era-begins-in-India/articleshow/1415930.cms. Retrieved 22 September 2009.
- ^ "The speed of Bhopal Shatabdi at 150km/h". The Hindu. Feb 09 2006. http://www.hindu.com/2006/02/09/stories/2006020913410100. Retrieved 22 September 2009. [dead link]
- ^ "Bullet Trains Expected in India". Rediff. May 3, 2007. http://www.rediff.com/money/2007/may/03train.htm. Retrieved 20 September 2009.
- ^ "India plans High Speed rail Service for Railways". Rediff. January 2009. http://www.rediff.com/money/2009/jan/19lalu-plans-bullet-trains-in-india.htm. Retrieved 22 September 2009.
- ^ Gupta, Jayanta (4 July 2009). "Duronto' trains to fulfil need for speed". Times of India. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/news/city/kolkata-/Duronto-trains-to-fulfil-need-for-speed/articleshow/4735985.cms. Retrieved 23 September 2009.
- ^ "Non-stop point-to-point long-distance trains introduced in the Budget". Rediff. July 3, 2009. http://business.rediff.com/slide-show/2009/jul/03/slide-show-1-mamata-presents-pro-people-budget.htm. Retrieved 22 September 2009.
- ^ "Railway Minister announces 5 new trains for A.P.". The Hindu. 10 July 2009. http://www.hindu.com/2009/07/10/stories/2009071053940400.htm. Retrieved 22 September 2009.
- ^ a b c d e f "Kolkata-New Delhi Duronto Express!". My News.in. 19 September 2009. http://www.mynews.in/News/Kolkata_to_New_Delhi_in_16_hours_-_Duronto_Express!_N26166.html. Retrieved 23 September 2009.
- ^ a b c "Details of Duronto Express". 8 September 2009. http://www.hindu.com/2009/09/08/stories/2009090859340400.htm. Retrieved 23 September 2009.
- ^ a b "Accommodation classes in Duronto Trains". The Hindu. Sep 16 2009. http://www.hindu.com/2009/09/16/stories/2009091657520400.htm. Retrieved 22 September 2009. "In the last before para before subheading-Passenger amenities"
- ^ "Duronto Trains Will Be Faster Than Rajdhani". India TV. 03 Jul 2009. http://www.indiatvnews.com/main/newsdetails.php?id=1884. Retrieved 23 September 2009.
- ^ "Duronto blazing new tracks". The Hindu. 21 September 2009. http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2009/09/21/stories/2009092150190500.htm. Retrieved 23 September 2009.